Hi, friends! This week I want to introduce you all to one of my all time favorite recipes. If there is ever a night where I want a home cooked meal, but don’t want to put in much effort, this is what I make. This sauce is the most delicious and simple recipe ever. Since the sauce is blended, it tends to turn orange in color, but don’t worry!
The orange can throw people off a bit, but don’t let the color deter you. The best thing about this recipe is that it can be customized to your palate and anything can be decreased or increased depending on your tastes. This recipe is so easy, anyone can do it! Shall we begin?
What You’ll Need
- 5-6 tomatoes
- Garlic (around 8 cloves)
- Fresh basil
- Red pepper flakes
- Olive oil
- Whole milk (or whatever you have)
- Choice of pasta
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a medium size pan with aluminum foil.
- Begin by cutting your tomatoes into relatively small pieces so they all fit on the pan.
- After you place your tomatoes on the pan, begin by crushing 4 cloves of garlic and roughly chop. Pro tip: crush first, peel it after.
- Spread the garlic on top of the tomatoes and sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. You can use less depending on what you prefer.
- Coat the tomatoes and garlic thoroughly with olive oil.
- Place in oven and cook for about 35 minutes. I prefer to take my tomatoes out after 35 minutes, but they can certainly stay in longer until they are more concentrated. The longer they are in, the more roasted and concentrated they will become.
- While waiting for your tomatoes, crush and chop 4 garlic cloves. I love garlic, but if you find this to be too much you can use 2 or even 3 cloves instead. After the garlic, chop a handful of fresh basil.
- Set the garlic and basil aside. After the tomatoes are done, take them out of the oven and let the pan cool.
- Once it has cooled and is easier to handle, add the entire contents of the pan into a blender, including the oil.
- Add in your garlic and basil to the blender and salt and pepper to taste. If you want to add in pepper flakes, you can do so now. I used about 2 teaspoons for an extra kick.
- Blend and then add in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of milk or cream and continue to blend until smooth.
- Serve hot with your favorite pasta!